Women’s and Gender Studies, Minor
Dr. Laura Michele Diener
Old Main 357/304-696-3643
Marshall University offers a minor in Women’s and Gender Studies. It consists of 12 credit hours in courses designated as Women’s Studies Courses, including regularly offered courses as well as other popular special topic courses.
The program has the following major objectives:
- To understand the unique contributions of women of all races, sexual orientations, and classes in a global context.
- To complement the existing curriculum where systematic attention to women’s experiences and contributions is needed.
- To encourage students to understand the subjective, gender and culture-specific nature of their values, beliefs and customs, and those of others.
- To understand the historical and contemporary social mechanisms that promote or limit women’s development as full participants in society.
- To use gender- and culture-inclusive language in written and oral communication, and understand language as a means of liberation or discrimination.
- To promote the equitable treatment of all members of society.
Women’s Studies Courses
The following courses will always count toward a Women’s and Gender Studies minor. Please check the program website for frequency taught and faculty information. The website will also list Special Topics courses.
|ART 404||Iconography of Mary||3|
|CJ 406||Race, Ethnicity, Class & Crime||3|
|CJ 440||CJ Response to Dom Violence||3|
|CL 210||Love/War Ancient World (CT)||3|
|CL 231||Women in Greek & Roman Lit||3|
|CL 460||Ancient Goddess Religions||3|
|CL 471||Ancient Sexuality||3|
|HST 250||Women in US History||3|
|HST 407||History of Sexuality||3|
|HST 443||20th Century US Womens Hst||3|
|HST 451||History of Women in Sports||3|
|JMC 455||Race Gender & Mass Media||3|
|PHL 340||Sexual Orient & Gender||3|
|PSC 419||Women and Political Thought||3|
|PSY 330||Human Sexual Behavior||3|
|PSY 430||Psychology of Women||3|
|SOC 455||Sociology of Sex and Gender||3|
|SPN 408||Latin American Women||3|
|WS 101||Intro to Women's Studies||3|
The following courses count toward a Women’s Studies minor only when taught by approved faculty. Please check the program website or e-mail the director for a list of approved faculty.
|ENG 240||African American Literatures||3|
|ENG 242||Women Writers||3|
|ENG 344||Introduction to Film Studies||3|
|ENG 414||19th C British Novel||3|