About Marshall University
Mr. Brad D. Smith, President
Dr. Ronald G. Area, Chief Executive Officer of the Marshall University Foundation, Inc., and Senior Vice President for Development
Mr. Bruce Felder, Chief Talent and Culture Officer
Ms. Brandi Jacobs-Jones, Senior Vice President for Operations
Dr. John Maher, Vice President for Research
Mr. Brian Morgan, Vice President for Institutional Research and Planning and Chief Data Officer
Dr. Avinandan Mukherjee, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Ms. Ginny Painter, Chief of Staff
Dr. Jodie Penrod, Chief Information Officer
Ms. Charlotte Weber, Vice President for Government Relations
Marshall University offers programs which encourage individual growth through the attainment of scholarship, acquisition of skills, and development of personality.
Professional, technical, and industrial career studies are available through the various departments of the university.
The university provides students with opportunities to understand and make contributions to the culture in which they live; to develop and maintain physical health; to participate in democratic processes; to learn worthwhile moral, social, and economic values; to develop intellectual curiosity and the desire to continue personal growth; and to share in a varied cultural program.
Marshall also recognizes an obligation to the state and community by offering evening, off-campus, and Internet classes, as well as lectures, artistic programs, conferences, forums, and other campus and field activities.
Mission of the University
Marshall University is a public comprehensive university with a rich history as one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in West Virginia. Founded in 1837 and named after Chief Justice John Marshall, definer of the Constitution, Marshall University advances the public good through innovative, accredited educational programs. Marshall University’s mission, inspired by our Vision and Creed, includes a commitment to:
- Offer a wide range of high quality, affordable, and accessible undergraduate, graduate, and professional education that prepares students to think, learn, work, and live in an evolving global society.
- Create opportunities and experiences to foster understanding and appreciation of the rich diversity of thought and culture.
- Maintain a dynamic intellectual, artistic, and cultural life by promoting and supporting research and creative activities by undergraduates, graduates, and faculty.
- Contribute to the quality of life of the community, region, and beyond through applied research, economic development, health care, and cultural enrichment.
- Cultivate the development of an inclusive, just, and equitable community.
Marshall University Vision Statement
The vision of Marshall University: to inspire learning and creativity that ignites the mind, nurtures the spirit, and fulfills the promise of a better future.
Undergraduate Assessment at Marshall University
Marshall University has an ongoing assessment program that is firmly rooted in the university’s mission. The assessment initiative grew from both faculty and administration concern for institutional quality and accountability. The assessment process provides the institution, colleges, and programs with information regarding institutional effectiveness. All segments of the university community—faculty, staff, administration and students—are to be actively involved in this process. Of central importance in the process is the assessment of student learning in the major and in general education, directed by the University Assessment Committee and the Associate Vice President of Assessment and Quality Initiatives.
The Marshall Creed
Inspired by the example of John Marshall, we the students, faculty, staff, and administrators of Marshall University, pledge to pursue the development of our intellects and the expansion of knowledge, and to devote ourselves to defending individual rights and exercising civic responsibility. We strive to exemplify in our own lives the core values of John Marshall’s character: independence, initiative, achievement, ethical integrity, and commitment to community through association and service. As Marshall University, we form a community that promotes educational goals and that allows individuals maximum opportunity to pursue those goals.
- An Educational Community in which all members work together to promote and strengthen teaching and learning;
- An Open Community uncompromisingly protecting freedom of thought, belief and expression;
- A Civil Community treating all individuals and groups with consideration, decency, and respect, and expressing disagreements in rational ways;
- A Responsible Community accepting obligations and following behavioral guidelines designed to support the common good;
- A Safe Community respecting each other’s rights, privacy and property;
- A Well Community respecting and promoting physical and emotional health;
- An Ethical Community reflecting honesty, integrity and fairness in both academic and extracurricular activities;
- A Pluralistic Community celebrating and learning from our diversity;
- A Socially Conscious Community acting as citizens of the world and seeking to contribute to the betterment of people and their environments;
- A Judicious Community remaining alert to the threats posed by hatred, intolerance and other injustices and ever-prepared to correct them.
Statement of Professional Ethics for All Employees
The faculty, staff, and administrators of Marshall University share a commitment to professional ethics as an obligation to our students, to the citizens of the state of West Virginia, and to each other as colleagues. To this end, we endorse the “Statement on Professional Ethics” of the American Association of University Professors, the “Ethical Practices for College Presidents” statement of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, the “Statement on Government of Colleges and Universities,” a joint statement of the American Association of University Professors, the American Council on Education, and the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges, and the “Ethics Act” of the West Virginia Ethics Commission. All of these documents may be found online at www.marshall.edu.
All employees should strive to adhere to the following guiding principles derived from the above documents. This is not intended as a complete listing of standards included in those documents.
- Honesty and Trustworthiness in all professional dealings with others;
- Fairness and Equity, requiring that one does not discriminate or harass others;
- Respect for the opinions, needs, goals, and responsibilities of others;
- Full and open communication between and among colleagues, students, staff, and administrators;
- Impartiality in all professional decision making;
- Keeping primary the interests of both students and the institution;
- Acceptance and fulfillment of responsibility in the shared governance of the university;
- Integrity in all interactions with others;
- Confidentiality of information where appropriate;
- Adherence to the ethical standards of one’s discipline or field.
All employees are duty bound to maintain these ethical standards as well as to call attention to situations where these standards may have been violated. The state and the institution provide administrative procedures for the filing and investigation of ethical complaints. However, in case an employee does not feel that he/she was treated properly in attempts to point out a potential ethical violation he/she may file a statutory grievance. The grievance process is governed by West Virginia State Code §6C-2. This is the only grievance process and is to be used when necessary by all employees - both faculty and staff.
Marshall University traces its origin to 1837, when residents of the community of Guyandotte and the farming country nearby decided their youngsters needed a school that would be in session more than three months a year. According to tradition, they met at the home of lawyer John Laidley, planned their school, and named it Marshall Academy in honor of Laidley’s friend, the late Chief Justice John Marshall. They chose one and one-quarter acres of land in an area called Maple Grove where stood a small log building known as Mount Hebron Church. It had been the site of a three-month subscription school and remained that for another term. Eventually $40.00 was paid for the site.
The Academy and the College
On March 30, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly formally incorporated Marshall Academy. Its first full term was conducted in 1838-39. For decades the fledgling school faced serious problems, most of them financial. The Civil War forced it to close for several years, but in 1867 the West Virginia Legislature renewed its vitality by creating the State Normal School at Marshall College to train teachers. This eased Marshall’s problems somewhat, but it was not until the tenure of President Lawrence J. Corbly from 1896 to 1915 that the college began its real growth. In 1907, enrollment exceeded 1,000.
Marshall was granted university status in 1961. The university now functions through these academic units: the College of Arts and Media, the College of Business, the College of Education and Professional Development, the College of Information Technology and Engineering, the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Health Professions, the Honors College, the College of Science, the School of Pharmacy, University College, and the School of Medicine.
- The Higher Learning Commission accredits Marshall University as an institution of higher learning.
The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education accredits the School of Medicine’s Continuing Medical Education program.
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education accredits the School of Medicine’s Residency Programs in Internal Medicine, Pathology, Transitional Year, Surgery, Pediatrics, Family Practice and Obstetrics/Gynecology.
- AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accredits the College of Business.
- AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accredits accounting degree programs of the College of Business.
- ABET accredits programs in the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences as follows:
- The Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission
of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Bioengineering and Biomedical and
Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of
ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Civil and Similarly Named Engineering
Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of
ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Computer Science and Similarly Named
Computing Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation
Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Electrical, Computer,
Communications, Telecommunication(s), and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,
https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Engineering, General Engineering, Engineering
Physics, and Engineering Science and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission
of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Mechanical and Similarly Named
Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Occupational Safety and Health is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science
Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Safety and
Similarly Named Programs Program Criteria.
- The Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission
- American Chemical Society certifies the Department of Chemistry.
- American Psychological Association accredits Doctor of Psychology degree program.
- The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics accredits the B.S. in Dietetics, the Dietetic Internship and the M.S. in Dietetics.
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, Illinois 60606-6995
800/877-1600 ext. 5400
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication accredits the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism & Mass Communications.
Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Mississippi
201 Bishop Hall, P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848
- Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) accredits the B.S. in Respiratory Care (cooperative program with St. Mary’s School of Respiratory Care).
- Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education accredits the Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs accredit the Sonography program at St. Mary’s School of Medical Imaging.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 - 113th St. N, #7709
Seminole, FL 33775
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education accredits the Athletic Training program.
Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100
Austin, TX 78731
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the West Virginia State Department of Education accredit the teacher education program (initial and advanced levels).
- Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association accredits the Communication Disorders graduate program.
Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
10801 Rockville Pike
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) accredits the M.A. in Counseling (School and Mental Health).
- Council on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education accredits the M.A. in Health Informatics.
- Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) accredits the Master of Public Health program.
- Council on Social Work Education accredits the Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work programs.
Council on Social Work Education
1600 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) accredits the Radiography program at St. Mary’s School of Medical Imaging.
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education of the American Medical Association and the Association of American Medical Colleges accredits the School of Medicine.
Association of American Medical Colleges
515 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60610
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences accredits the Medical Laboratory Science program and the Medical Laboratory Technician program.
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018- 5119
- National Association of School Psychologists accredits the Ed.S. in School Psychology.
- National Association of Schools of Music accredits the School of Music.
National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive
Reston, VA 22090
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. accredits programs for the Associate in Science in Nursing, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the Master of Science in Nursing, and three post-master’s certificates.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
- Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission (FEPAC) through the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) accredits the M.S. in Forensic Science and the Forensic Science M.S. with areas of emphasis in Digital Evidence.
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education accredits the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program.
- The Commission on Dental Accreditation accredits the General Practice Dental Residency at Cabell Huntington Hospital.
- The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. accredits the Physician Assistant Program (Master’s). For further information, please refer to the verbiage below.
Accreditation of the Physician Assistant Program
At its June 2023 meeting, the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA) placed the Marshall University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Marshall University on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in June 2025.
Probation accreditation is a temporary accreditation status initially of not less than two years. However, that period may be extended by the ARC-PA for up to an additional two years if the ARC-PA finds that the program is making substantial progress toward meeting all applicable standards but requires additional time to come into full compliance. Probation accreditation status is granted, at the sole discretion of the ARC-PA, when a program holding an accreditation status of Accreditation - Provisional or Accreditation - Continued does not, in the judgment of the ARC-PA, meet the Standards or when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened.
Once placed on probation, a program that fails to comply with accreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, may be scheduled for a focused site visit and is subject to having its accreditation withdrawn.
Specific questions regarding the Program and its plans should be directed to the Program Director and/or the appropriate institutional official(s).
The program’s accreditation history can be viewed on the ARC-PA website at http://www.arc-pa.org/accreditation-history-marshall-university.
Approvals and Recognitions
- American Association of University Women approves Marshall University.
- Federal Immigration and Nationality Act approves Marshall University for attendance of nonimmigrant international students.
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals recognizes the B.S. in Occupational Safety and Health.
- Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (IHMM) recognizes the B.S. in Occupational Safety and Health is recognized as a Associate Safety and Health Manager (ASHM) program.
Membership in Major Organizations
- AACSB/International Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- American Association for Affirmative Action
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- American Council on Education
- American Library Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Association of Departments of English, MLA
- Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- International Council of Fine Arts Deans
- National Association of Fellowships Advisors
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- National Collegiate Honors Council
- Founding Member of the Ohio River Basin Consortium for Research and Education
- Southern Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing
- Teacher Education Council of State Colleges & Universities
There are more than 700 full-time faculty at Marshall University, and of them, 85 percent hold the highest degree in their fields of specialization. The faculty’s first commitment is to teaching. The second responsibility is to advancing scholarly and creative work, and service is the third area of professional obligation. Each year Marshall University honors its faculty by recognizing outstanding teaching, notable scholarship, and distinguished service.
In the words of a Marshall undergraduate, “The professors here are concerned with helping the student. If you make the effort to approach them, they are willing to go to great lengths to assist you.”
Faculty are identified in the departmental sections of this catalog and in the faculty listing.
The Huntington campus of Marshall University encompasses about 90 acres. It is bounded on the north by Third Avenue, on the south by Fifth Avenue, on the west by Hal Greer Boulevard, and on the east by Twentieth Street. The Medical School is located several blocks to the south. This campus is 126 miles east of Lexington, Kentucky, and 50 miles west of Charleston, West Virginia.
Huntington is a safe, picturesque city with hospitals, libraries, restaurants, a renowned museum, a city-wide park, and nearby factories for making hand-blown glass. Concerts and theatrical productions take place in outdoor amphitheaters located in the park and along the riverfront.
A strong “town-gown” relationship benefits both the Huntington community and Marshall University, and is particularly evident in the mutual support of cultural activities and community support of the university’s athletic events.
The South Charleston campus of Marshall University lies 46 miles to the east of the campus in Huntington, and covers about 29 acres in South Charleston, West Virginia. There are two buildings at the South Charleston campus.
The university takes great pride in its continuing efforts to maintain a barrier-free campus for individuals with physical limitations.
Arthur Weisberg Family Applied Engineering Complex, located on Third Avenue on the north side of campus, was completed in spring of 2015. It was named in honor of Arthur Weisberg and his family, who have been strong supporters of engineering and computer science at Marshall. The facility houses administration, offices, classrooms and state-of-the-art laboratories of the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences. The College of Science also has faculty offices and research laboratories located in this building. In addition the Weisberg Applied Engineering Complex includes laboratories and offices for the Marshall Institute for Interdisciplinary Research and the Marshall University Research Corporation.
Arthur Weisberg Family Engineering Laboratories was completed in August of 2009. It was named in honor of Arthur Weisberg and his family, who have been strong supporters of engineering and computer science at Marshall. A variety of engineering laboratories are housed in this building.
Birke Gallery, located on the first floor of Smith Hall at the northwest corner of campus, was named to honor the family of Helen Birke, a former Huntington patroness of the arts. The facility was enlarged in 1993. Directed by the School of Art and Design, the Birke Gallery mounts exhibits of student and professional art works for the benefit of art students, the campus at large and the entire community.
Buskirk Hall, a six-story women’s residence hall with double and single rooms and a capacity of approximately 193 women, is on the east side of the inner campus. Opened in 1965 as West Hall, it was renamed in 1976 to honor Lillian Helms Buskirk, who was Dean of Women from 1941 until 1970. This residence hall houses Business and Science Living Learning Communities, the First Year Residential Experience, and a designated Quiet Floor. Buskirk Hall is also ADA accessible for students.
Cam Henderson Center, opened in 1981, presents a spectacular profile against the campus skyline on Third Avenue on the north side of campus. The facility was named to honor legendary coach Cam Henderson, whose career at Marshall extended from 1935 to 1955. Special features include a 9,000+-seat basketball arena, four secondary basketball courts, racquetball courts, training rooms, weights rooms, locker rooms and meeting rooms. The Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium, an 800-seat swimming area, was named in honor of a professor and chair of physical education. The building contains human performance labs, intercollegiate offices, the Sports Information office, the Big Green Scholarship office, and the athletic events ticket office.
Campus Christian Center, completed in 1961 on Fifth Avenue beside the Memorial Student Center, is privately owned and operated by a corporation whose Board of Directors is elected by nine Christian denominations. No state funds were involved in its construction. The building contains a chapel, conference rooms, fellowship hall and kitchen, lounge, office space for campus ministers, workshop rooms, and the Stewart H. Smith religious library, named to honor the President (1946 to 1968) of Marshall College and then Marshall University.
Career Education, the Office of Career Education, is located on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and l7th Street. The Office of Career Education provides career development and support services for students and alumni. Career Education staff support is available, as well as computers for career research, job search skill development and interview practice, and other online career resources.
Communications Building, the third building of the Smith Hall Complex, was completed in 1970. Located on Third Avenue at the east end of the complex, it houses the studio of WMUL-FM radio, Digital Media Services, and University College.
Corbly Hall, a four-story building located at the southwest corner of campus, was named for Lawrence J. Corbly, who served as “principal” of Marshall College from 1896 to 1907, and as its first president from 1907 to 1915. When dedicated in November 1980, Corbly Hall was the largest academic building in the West Virginia state system of higher education. It is the home of the College of Business, which includes the Department of Accountancy and Legal Environment; the Department of Finance, Economics and International Business; the Department of Management and Health Care Administration; and the Department of Marketing, Management Information Systems, and Entrepreneurship. Corbly also houses the Department of English.
Drinko Library and Information Center, located on the western side of campus beside Old Main, opened in 1998 and is named for John Deaver Drinko, a Marshall graduate, philanthropist, and strong supporter of higher education. This is a 118,000 square foot, state-of- the-art facility. Its west side presents a traditional facade that is compatible with adjacent Old Main, while the east side, with an imposing five-story atrium, is modern in design. The dual outward appearance is reflected inside, as the facility melds a full range of traditional library services with state-of-the art computing and distance education facilities that include multimedia training and presentation rooms, quiet study and work rooms, computer work stations and computer carrels. The Drinko Study Center is open 24 hours five days per week and includes access to a spacious reading room with computer consultation stations. The overall library system includes close to three million items consisting of numerous subject-specific databases, print and electronic books or periodicals, scores, multimedia resources, government publications, special collections, and microforms. The Drinko Library provides private and group study rooms, conference rooms, classrooms, and an auditorium. The Information Technology administration and several units in this division are also housed in Drinko.
East Hall is located on the east side of campus near the First Year Residence Halls. It houses the new Intercultural Center, the new Student Success Center, and the English Language Institute. The Intercultural Center serves to prepare Marshall University students and graduates for leadership and success in a pluralistic and globally integrated society. The Intercultural Center includes the Center for African American Students; the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning+ Office; and the International Students Office. The Student Success Center sponsors success programming especially for freshmen, sophomores, and new transfer students and is the home of the Friend at Marshall (FAM) Peer Mentoring Program, the Supplemental Instruction Program, the Herd Path Program, and the Alternative Suspension Program. The English Language Institute facilitates English language learning and cultural educational understanding for Marshall’s international students.
The Education Building, constructed in 1937, is located on the eastern side of the inner campus. Until 1970 the building provided elementary through high school education and served as a laboratory for prospective teachers. Now, it houses administration, offices, and classrooms of the College of Education and Professional Development. The facility includes the Learning Resource center, a mathematics education laboratory, a science education laboratory, electronic classrooms, and the June C. Harless Center for Rural Educational Research and Development.
The First Year Residence Halls (FYRH) opened in the fall of 2008. There are two buildings of four floors each, which house a total of approximately 782 students. Students share a bedroom and bathroom with one roommate. Each student is provided an extra-long bed, bureau, desk and chair. These residence halls provide Ethernet and wireless Internet access, along with cable television. There are emergency phones on each floor and card access into the building, along with security cameras in the common areas. These residence halls also have study lounges, classrooms and common area space for student use. Resident Advisors are assigned to each floor and 24-hour desk coverage is provided. A professional staff member lives on site for after-hours emergencies.
Gullickson Hall, completed in 1961, adjoins the newer Cam Henderson Center at 18th Street and Fourth Avenue on the northeast side of campus. It was named in honor of Otto (Swede) Gullickson, who developed a large collegiate intramural program at Marshall beginning in 1930 and continuing for almost four decades. This three-story facility contains classrooms, offices, a gymnasium seating 250, rifle range, steam room, and first-aid laboratory. It houses the School of Kinesiology, and the department of military science.
Harris Hall, on Third Avenue on the north side of campus, was completed in 1976 and named in honor of Arvil Ernest Harris, a political science and social studies professor who served as dean of the graduate school from 1948 to 1964. The four-story building houses the departments of classics, geography, history, religious studies, philosophy, psychology, counseling, adult and continuing education, and education administration.
Holderby Hall, built in 1963 on Fifth Avenue as South Hall to house male students, was expanded in 1969 to become a nine-story, co-ed residence hall with a capacity of approximately 250 in all deluxe singles. Holderby Hall is also home to one of our Faculty-In-Residence. In 1980 it was renamed in honor of James Holderby, who in 1837 sold one and one-fourth acres of his farm to establish Marshall Academy. Living areas on the ground-level floor offer ADA-accessible rooms for male students. Marshall University’s Campus Express: Pizza, Subs and More, or C’ Store, is located on the north side of the building along with the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
Joan C. Edwards Performing Arts Center is located on Fifth Avenue on the south side of campus across from Memorial Student Center. Completed in 1992, the facility was named to honor Joan C. Edwards, a Huntington philanthropist and patroness of the arts. The facility includes performance and support space for a 530-seat theater auditorium, an experimental theater, and rehearsal rooms.
Joan C. Edwards Stadium, built in 1991, is located at the corner of 20th Street and Third Avenue on the eastern end of campus. The 38,000-seat stadium has an artificial playing surface of 53,147 square feet, and houses luxury boxes, coaches’ boxes, a working press area, and a Big Green meeting room. On the east side of the stadium is a 129,000 square foot grass practice field.
Jomie Jazz Center, at the east side of the Edwards Performing Arts Center, was completed in 2000. Named for Joan and Jimmie Edwards, supporters of Marshall University and the fine arts, it houses the jazz studies program (School of Music) and the offices of the Marshall Artists Series. The building features a state-of-the-art digital recording studio, a music computer laboratory with digital workstations, and the Jazz Forum, an intimate performance space.
Joseph M. Gillette Welcome Center, relocated in 2007, is located on Fifth Avenue at 16th Street on the southwest side of campus, opposite Corbly Hall. Home of the Office of Recruitment, the Gillette Welcome Center is the first stop for prospective students to obtain information about the university and its many academic programs. Daily information sessions and campus tours begin in the Welcome Center.
Laidley Hall, located on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 18th Street, was formerly a residence hall.
Marshall Commons opened in the fall of 2003. The five-building complex is located on Fifth Avenue, east of the Jomie Jazz Center. The four residence halls in the complex are identical, contemporary buildings with accommodations for approximately 480 students in suite-style arrangements. All are co-ed residences; Willis Hall is designated for Honors students. Haymaker is designated as an upper-class hall for juniors and seniors and is home to the Greek Living-Learning Community. Wellman Hall is home to the Health Professions Living-Learning Community. The Commons are also home to one of our Faculty-In-Residence. Each hall has laundry facilities, recreation rooms, lounges, and is fully wired for each student’s computer connections. Harless Dining Hall, which opened in January 2004, has a capacity to seat 340 students and includes a meeting room as well.
Marshall Recreation Center, a 123,000-square-foot facility, contains 4 wood gym courts for basketball, volleyball, badminton, pickle ball and dodge ball; a 37’ climbing wall with bouldering area; outdoor pursuits center with rental equipment area; aquatics center with 3 lap swim lanes, leisure pool, vortex pool and 20 person spa; men’s and women’s locker rooms; family changing areas with lockers; 17,000 square feet of fitness space on the second and third floor with free weights, selectorized machines with LCD televisions; 4 group exercise rooms; a 3 lane 1/7th mile walking/jogging/running track; massage area; fitness assessment room; juice bar; a Wellness Center, lounge areas and staff offices. Immediately east of the pool is an outdoor, fenced area for sunning and relaxing. The entire facility is accessible for persons with disabilities. The Rec Center is also the largest student employer on campus. For additional information refer to the website at www.marshallcampusrec.com.
Memorial Student Center, located on Fifth Avenue on the south side of campus, was completed in 1971. Its name commemorates the loss of the entire Marshall football team in a 1970 plane crash. On the campus side a plaza is centered by a fountain designed by sculptor Harry Bertoia with points at the top that represent those lives lost in the crash. The building houses offices of Student Government, Student Activities, the LEAD Center, the Wellness Center, Student Affairs, West Virginia Army National Guard, Food Service and the commuter lounge. It includes a large central lounge, study areas, food court, restaurant, coffee shop, recreation area, information desk, and meeting and conference rooms. Memorial Student Center also houses the University Bookstore, which was renovated and enlarged in 1998.
Morrow Library, named for James E. Morrow, head of Marshall College from 1872-1873, is located on Third Avenue and was constructed in 1930 with an addition completed in 1967 that doubled the library size to over 100,000 square feet. Drinko Library opened in 1998 as the university’s primary library facility, and Morrow Library now houses a mix of library and university functions. The library facilities include the Archives & Special Collections department which includes the university archives that relate to the history of Marshall; the West Virginia and regional history book collection; West Virginia state documents; manuscript collections of local and regional interest; the Rosanna Blake Library of Confederate History, which includes resources on antebellum Southern history; as well as the Morrow Stacks (general books and periodicals). Library services also include Government Documents, a federal depository for government materials with a collection of over one million items. In addition to library services, the building houses the Department of Computer and Information Technology’s instructional and computer laboratories, faculty offices and “learning commons.” Morrow is also home to the Appalachian Studies Association office and the Testing Center.
Myers Hall, completed in 1992 on 18th Street at the east end of campus, was named to honor Wilbur E. Myers, who contributed most of the private funds used to build and furnish the facility. The structure houses the nationally recognized Higher Education for Learning Problems (H.E.L.P.) Center, which provides services for those college students diagnosed as having learning disabilities such as dyslexia or attention deficiency disorder.
Old Main, Marshall University’s administrative building, faces Hal Greer Boulevard and Fourth Avenue on the west side of campus. The oldest building at Marshall University, Old Main is actually five buildings joined together in a series of additions constructed between the years 1868 and 1908. Its towers have become the symbol of the university to alumni. Old Main houses the principal administrative offices of the university and the offices of the College of Liberal Arts, the Women and Gender Center, and the Center for Teaching and Learning. On the second floor is the John Deaver Drinko Academy, named for a graduate and supporter of the university, and the Center for Academic Excellence, which houses the Honors College.
One Room School Museum, located on Fifth Avenue near the Memorial Student Center, was a former one-room school dating from 1889 in Cabell County. It was moved to the Huntington campus and dedicated in 1995 to honor West Virginia’s rural education heritage.
Prichard Hall, situated in the eastern mid-part of the inner campus, was completed in 1955 and named in honor of Lucy Prichard, a distinguished professor of classics and faculty leader during the 1920’s and 30’s. Formerly a residence hall, this four-story structure was renovated in 1973 and now houses the classrooms of the College of Health Professions, as well as Disability Services, the Student Counseling Center, Student Support Services.
Robert C. Byrd Biotechnology Science Center, opened in 2006 and is named for the late Robert C. Byrd, U.S. Senator (D) representing West Virginia. Federal, state, and private funding supported the construction and equipping of the $48 million, 144,000-square-foot center. This state-of-the-art research and educational facility is located on Third Avenue across from the Science Building. It is designed to facilitate interdisciplinary research between the College of Science and School of Medicine. Fostering this interaction is a 285-ft., over-the-street walkway connecting the Biotechnology Science Center with Marshall’s Science Building.
Science Building, located on Third Avenue on the north side of campus, was completed in 1942 and expanded in 1985 and 1995. The facility houses administration, offices, classrooms and laboratories of the College of Science. In addition the Science Building includes laboratories and offices of the Clinical Laboratory Services department, a greenhouse, and a chemical storage building on the east side.
Smith Hall complex includes Smith Hall, Smith Music Hall, and the Communications Building.
Smith Hall, a seven-story structure on Third Avenue at the northwest corner of campus, opened in 1967 and was named in honor of Stewart H. Smith, President of Marshall University from 1946 to 1968. It houses the departments of art, communication disorders, communication studies, criminal justice, mathematics, modern languages, political science, sociology and anthropology, as well as the offices of the College of Arts and Media, and the Birke Art Gallery. The structure has an 84-car parking garage in the lower level.
Smith Music Hall, at the northwest corner of campus and part of the Smith Hall complex, was opened in 1967. Named to honor Evelyn Hollberg Smith, whose husband served as President of Marshall University from 1946 to 1968, the facility is home to the music program. It contains classrooms, faculty studios, practice rooms, a listening laboratory, a 490-seat recital hall, and rehearsal facilities for vocal and instrumental performances of both individuals and group ensembles.
The Communications Building houses the School of Journalism and Mass Communications, as well as University College.
Sorrell Maintenance Building, named in honor of Howard K. Sorrell, who was a service engineer at Marshall University for 35 years, was constructed in 1965 on 20th Street at the eastern end of campus. It houses the departments of physical plant, facilities planning and management, and health and safety, in addition to supply rooms and storage facilities.
Twin Towers East and West, which opened in 1969, stand on Fifth Avenue on the southeast side of campus. These buildings are fifteen-story, co-ed residences. Quiet floors are available in Twin Towers West as well as the male Business and Science living-learning communities. Twin Towers East houses a First Year Experience community, along with upper-class floors. Both buildings have living spaces on the second floors that are ADA accessible. A dining hall, renovated in the summer of 2011, connects the two towers. These residence halls provide Ethernet and wireless Internet access as well as study lounges, classrooms and common area space for student use.
Health Sciences Campus
Marshall University Medical Center, located at 1600 Medical Center Drive several blocks south of the main campus and adjacent to Cabell Huntington Hospital, opened in 1998 as the new home of the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. It is a dual complex composed of the Robert C. Byrd Center for Rural Health (honoring U. S. Senator Byrd) and the University Physicians Center. The four-floor structure houses the departments of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Surgery, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics/Gynecology. The facility also includes the outpatient Hanshaw Geriatric Center (named for Frank E. Hanshaw, Sr., a founder and first president of the Marshall University Foundation), Cardiovascular Services, a Health Science Library, offices for the School of Medicine, and an auditorium and teleconference center.
Stephen Kopp Hall, home of the School of Pharmacy, is located on Hal Greer Boulevard across from the Marshall University Medical Center. Its name honors the memory of Marshall President Dr. Stephen J. Kopp, who died in 2014.
Other Huntington Locations
The Visual Arts Center, located at 927 Third Avenue, is the home of the School of Art and Design, the Charles W. and Norma C. Carroll Art Gallery and the Birke Art Gallery, which was named to honor the family of Helen Birke, a former Huntington patroness of the arts. Ceramics and sculpture are taught in the university’s Art Warehouse, 209 21st Street, located across Third Avenue near the stadium.
Huntington’s Kitchen, located at 911 Third Avenue, houses the Department of Dietetics of the College of Health Professions. It is a joint operation of Cabell Huntington Hospital and Marshall University.
Marshall Advanced Manufacturing Center provides technical, hands-on assistance with state-of-the-art capabilities for small and medium-sized manufacturers. Since opening in 1991 on Fourth Avenue in downtown Huntington, it has expanded its operations through four additional manufacturing technology centers in strategic locations around the state.
South Charleston Campus
Administration Building houses the admission office, classrooms (including an electronic classroom), and two computer labs, in addition to offices for faculty and staff.
Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center is named for the late U.S. Senator Byrd in recognition of his efforts on behalf of education in West Virginia. The facility contains thirteen classrooms and the Marshall Advanced Manufacturing Center. On the first floor it also houses the South Charleston Campus Library, which holds a core collection of books and journals that support the undergraduate and graduate programs offered on that campus. Access to all Marshall Libraries' electronic resources is available, along with a professional staff to assist students and faculty with their research needs. Individual and group study rooms are available for student use.