Film Studies, Minor
To earn a minor in Film Studies, a student must complete at least 15 credits in approved Film Studies courses with a minimum GPA of 2.5. Other requirements:
- ENG 344 Introduction to Film Studies, a 3-credit course, is required.
- 12 additional credits in courses that focus primarily upon film or related art forms.
- Because this is an interdisciplinary minor, students must complete coursework in at least 3 academic departments or schools.
- No more than 9 credits in any one department or school.
- At least 9 credits must have been completed at Marshall University. Students may utilize up to six credits in Film Studies coursework completed at other accredited institutions with the approval of the Director of Film Studies.
- No more than 3 credits in independent study.
- 6 of the 15 credits must be in courses numbered 300 and above.
- No credits taken on a credit/no credit basis.
Among the courses that may fulfill the Film Studies minor are the following:
|ANT 365||Anthropology through Film||3|
|ART 315||Intro to Photography||3|
|ART 325||Image Visualization: Digital||3|
|ART 453||Motion Design I||3|
|CMM 239||Dev & Appreciation of Film||3|
|CMM 441||Dev Appr Film Since 1930||3|
|ENG 232||Good Films||3|
|ENG 344||Introduction to Film Studies||3|
|ENG 440||Selected Topics in Film||3|
|ENG 442||Gender and Sexuality in Film||3|
|FRN 417||Contemporary Frn Film||3|
|HST 439||Modern China through Film||3|
|HST 447||Film and Empire||3|
|JMC 260||Digital Imaging for JMC||3|
|JMC 332||Intro to Video Production||3|
|JMC 432||AD-PR Video Production||3|
|JMC 434||Advanced Video||3|
|JMC 475||Documentary Journalism||3|
|JPN 250||Japanese Anime & Manga (CT)||3|
|JPN 403||Japanese Film in English||3|
|MUS 219||Digital Recording Techniques||2|
|SPN 417||Spanish Film||3|
|SPN 418||Latin American Film||3|
|SPN 419||Against Oppression SPN LA Film||3|
|THE 111||Introduction to Acting||3|
|THE 201||Crit Analysis Theatre Lit||3|
|THE 240||Stage Lighting I||4|
|THE 354||Stage Make-up||3|
In addition to the courses on this list, students may use up to nine credits earned in Special Topics courses, including Honors Seminars, and up to three credits earned in Independent Study to complete the requirement for the Film Studies minor, provided these courses have been approved by the Director of Film Studies for completion of the Film Studies minor.