Geospatial Information Science-Basic, Graduate Certificate
Students may pursue the graduate certificate while enrolled in the any master’s program or as a certificate-only student.
- Students already enrolled in the master’s degree program should submit to the Graduate College a Secondary Program Request form at https://www.marshall.edu/graduate.
- Applicants interested in the certificate-only program should apply for admission to Marshall University as a Certificate/Professional Development student and select on the application form the Certificate in Geospatial Information Science-Basic.
A graduate certificate in Geospatial Information Science-Basic consists of a minimum of 12 graduate hours in courses designated as GIScience Courses, including regularly offered courses as well as special topics courses. Students must have a B (3.0) average in their GIScience courses and no grade below a C (2.0) in their GIScience courses to earn the certificate. The program is designed to:
- offer GIS study in a variety of disciplines with a variety of applications;
- teach students GIS techniques;
- teach students to apply GIS to solve scientific research problems;
- encourage students to gain experience in the GIS field by means of internships;
- integrate GIS applications with computer science concepts;
- prepare students for GIS employment. or additional work at the doctoral level.
Plan of Study
|GIScience Required Course|
|GEO 526||Principles of GIS 1||4|
|Select at least two of the following:||8|
|Remote Sensing/GIS Appl|
|Dgtl Image Proc/GIS Model|
|Princ of GIS 2-Vector Analysis|
|Remote Sensing & Photogram|
|GPS & Mobile Geospatial T|
|Spatial Statistics and GIS|
|Applied GIS Projects|
|Internship in Geography (must be GIScience approved by advisor in advance)|
|Geographic Information Systems|
|Advanced Practicum (must be GIScience approved by advisor in advance)|
Special Topics courses as approved by advisor in advance
|Total Credit Hours||12|
Requirement waived if GEO 426 Principles of GIS or its equivalent taken as an undergraduate