Students interested in pursuing a degree in computer science who have a minimum composite ACT score of 19 and Math ACT scores of 19-23 (SAT composite 900; Math 460-550), will be admitted into Pre-Computer Science until all of the following minimum requirements are met:
- 15 earned semester credit hours of college-level coursework;
- Overall college Grade Point Average of 2.0;
- Completion of ENG 101 Beginning Composition (or equivalent) with a grade of C;
- Completion of MTH 127 College Algebra-Expanded/MTH 130 College Algebra (or equivalent) grade of C;
- MTH 132 Precalculus with Sci Applica (or equivalent) grade of C
In order to transfer into the computer science program offered at Marshall, students must meet the Math ACT requirement or complete the requirements listed above for Pre-Computer Science majors. This pertains to transfer students within Marshall or from another institution.
Once all requirements listed above have been met, students will be transferred to the computer science major.
- General Education Course
- Milestone course: a key success marker for your major. See your advisor to discuss the importance of this course in your plan of study.
Two Year Plan
Each student should meet with his/her faculty advisor early in the program to develop an individual plan of study since requirements will vary based on math courses completed. The following is a suggested schedule for pre-computer science majors.
Math ACT 19-23 (SAT 460-550)
|First Semester||Credit Hours|
|ENG 101||Beginning Composition||3|
|FYS 100||First Yr Sem Critical Thinking||3|
or MTH 130
|College Algebra-Expanded (Placement is based on ACT/SAT match scores.)
or College Algebra
|Core II Course (depending on total semester credit hours)||3|
|CS 105||Expl World with Computing (CT)||3|
|UNI 100||Freshman First Class||1|
|MTH 132||Precalculus with Sci Applica||5|
|CS 110||Computer Science I||3|
|Core II Course||3|
|Core II Course||3|
|Total Credit Hours||33-35|