Regents, B.A. (RBA)
- Contacts: Andrew Gooding, Director
- Location: Smith Hall 223
- Telephone: 304-696-6400
The Regents Bachelor of Arts degree program (RBA) is a nontraditional program designed for the adult student. It has several differences from other baccalaureate degree programs. While the program provides the RBA student with a sound general educational foundation, there are no required major courses. Instead, with the assistance of an advisor, a student creates the course plan that best fits his or her individual needs. Students in the program have the opportunity to request College Equivalent Credits (CEC’s) for documented course-level learning resulting from life and work experiences. Examples of CEC credit may include military credits, standard awards for certain licenses, certifications and corporate training, CLEP and DSST examinations, and portfolio petitions for credit. All failing grades received four years or more before admission to the program are forgiven and disregarded in the calculation of the GPA required for graduation. (Note: This policy does not pertain to GPA calculated for special academic recognition, such as graduating with honors.)
- The student must meet all general Marshall University admission requirements
- The student must be at least 4 years out of high school. For those students who passed the GED, admission must be at least 4 years after their class graduated from high school. No person out of high school fewer than 4 years will be admitted.
Students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning may not pursue the RBA degree.
The RBA degree by state statute is a degree completion program and students may not double major in the RBA or use it as a subsequent degree.
- Total credit hour requirement: 120 credit hours, including any CEC’s
- General education hours: 36
- Upper division hours (300-400 level): 39
- Grade Point Average at Marshall and overall: 2.00
- Residency: 24 graded semester credit hours earned at any of the WV public institutions of higher education. At least 3 credit hours must be earned at Marshall University.
- No more than 72 hours of community college credit can be applied toward the RBA.
General Education Requirements
36 semester hours (including applicable CEC general education hours) distributed among the following categories:
- Communications – 6 semester hours
- Natural sciences – 6 semester hours
- Mathematics/Computers – 3 semester hours
- Social Sciences – 6 semester hours
- Humanities – 6 semester hours
- Additional approved credit hours from any of the above categories – 9 semester hours
While RBA students do not declare a major, they may earn a minor in any academic program offered at Marshall by following the minor requirements of that program.
The RBA staff assists students in all aspects of their college needs: admission, program design, course selection, enrollment, assessment for CEC’s, and many other factors.
Areas of Emphasis: Marshall University Regents Bachelor of Arts
An Area of Emphasis gives RBA students the opportunity to show a focus as part of the RBA degree. Areas of Emphasis are not required for the degree and are not all available online. An RBA area of emphasis, by state statute, requires a minimum of 15 hours of 300-400 level courses with a C or higher for each course. Substitutions are only allowed with the appropriate department’s written permission.
- Social Science-Related
The most current list of Areas of Emphasis is found on the RBA website https://www.marshall.edu/rba/ or by contacting the RBA office. CEC’s may not be used in completing an Area of Emphasis.
Areas of Emphasis
- Anthropology, Emphasis
- Communication Studies, Emphasis
- Creative Writing in English, Emphasis
- Criminal Justice, Emphasis
- Digital Forensics, Emphasis
- Game Development, Emphasis
- Geography - GIScience, Emphasis
- Geography - Human, Emphasis
- Geography - Physical, Emphasis
- Geography, Emphasis
- Information Assurance, Emphasis
- Instructional Technology and Library Science, Emphasis
- Literature in English, Emphasis
- Military Science, Emphasis
- Political Science, Emphasis
- Preschool Development, Emphasis
- Psychology, Emphasis
- Religious Studies, Emphasis
- Sociology, Emphasis
- Web Application Development, Emphasis
- Women’s Studies, Emphasis